We went to the Dr. yesterday and apparently the babes got Dad's metabolism because they weighed less than when we left the hospital. He told us to increase their food more than was previously advised which we were already doing albeit slower. They will have another weight check tomorrow. Nora and Brenna continue to comfort nurse and we will revisit the supplemental nursing at a later date once they are back to their birth weight. We started using the bottle and still have to slow it down taking lots of breaks to limit the gas, spit up, etc. Ted's pinkies are saved and he will survive carpal tunnel.
I am amazed at the evolution of our parental instincts. The few days prior to the Dr visit we noticed that they were more hungry and started following their cues accordingly. Often when I sleep (even for 45 min) I have vivid dreams and wake up immediately searching for one of them nearby. Ted is an inspirational student of observation (thank goodness because I was worried when he hadn't read one single baby related reference). He has identified different comforting techniques that each baby likes. I truly love watching him be a father. For those of you who don't know him he is incredibly sarcastic data mining nerd with a heart of gold (i.e his last blog post).
Nora and Brenna are tummy time champs lifting their heads and turning since the first time we tried. Ted and I looked at each other and said "did that really happen?"
Grandma Kelly arrives Thursday afternoon and it will be nice to have 3 adults around until Ted returns to work on monday. No one is ready for that to happen, but I'm grateful he has had this time with us so far.




No comments:
Post a Comment